Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Review: Rockin' Richard's Record & CD Show 'n Sale (March 18, 2012)

For the past several weeks, I've been the youngest student in a rock solid 2hrs-a-week discussion group called History of Rock 'n Roll, led by author and music historian John Einarson.

It's a fascinating exploration of the roots of rock.

(As an aside, and as the youngest participant in this group, I have enjoyed being asked such questions as "So have you heard of Roy Orbison before?" and "Are you at least finding this type of music catchy?".  I suppose I can understand where they're coming from, they probably believe I'm there doing a research project for high school; they don't know that Roy Orbison was, in fact, my very first concert experience.)

When we began our discussion on the British Invasion a few weeks back, I realized then that I had lived a past life as a Liverpudlian teen in the mid-60s (I was born in '78, so math-wise, it's possible).

Well, THAT, or maybe I'm just lucky to have a really cool dad.

The great discussion we had on Merseybeat, and listening to the accompanying tracks Mr Einarson would play to supplement the content, was such a cool throwback to my childhood - my dad, thankfully, has great taste in music, so I was lucky enough to be surrounded by the British Invasion growing up. Bands like the Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies - I didn't realize I loved them as much as I do.



So when Mr Einarson mentioned to us last Tuesday about the up-and-coming Rockin' Richard's Record and CD sale slated for the weekend, I knew I had to be there, just to soak it all up, if anything.

What I experienced was truly an assault on my senses.

Scores of tables set up with a bajillion LPs & 45s. A Gene Simmons impersonator. Sandy from Grease (could've been the real deal, more than likely not, though). The musty smell of basement. Boxes upon boxes of vintage magazines. Cassettes. Strobe lights. It was a magnificent feast I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into.

The scope of memorabilia was impressive, though I didn't get a chance to check out all the t-shirts, posters and the other bells and whistles they were selling. (Had to focus my energy on acquiring Beatles goodies, which I most happily did.) I also wish I would have had the chance to check out the sound equipment the leaflet claimed to have been selling (I was there to go through vinyl, I should probably own a record player of my own...?) The vendors were informative, friendly, and very helpful. Patient, even, as were most of the event-goers, especially when I took my time mulling over the books & mags in a couple of different boxes that I'm sure other eager hands wanted to jump on. Every genre of music was represented, from most every time period since the birth of recorded music.

I could have spent all day there (the show ran from 10-4pm) but that would have translated into spending more money. Easily. There was so much to see, I was afraid I would miss out on some great find; eventually, after a couple of hours, I just had to accept the fact that I wasn't going to be able to rifle through every box at the show. But I easily could have.

The only element I might have added to the event would have been, essentially, what the day was about: music. I understand the discussions with the vendors were creating enough of a buzz; however, I'm always a fan of a background music to accompany the day. Other than that, for it being my first record & cd show & sale, I was delightedly overwhelmed.

And feeling a bit regretful that I neglected to pick up that Gerry and the Pacemakers vinyl I had found.

And wishing I had brought my dad with me to experience it all, seeing as how it's because of him that I was there in the first place.

Next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment