Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Art of Redemption

The diverse range of human activities, and the products of those processes, is an artistic expression of emotion. Art doesn't always have to be something tangible. I believe you don't always have to experience it with one of your five (or six, if you're Haley Joel Osment) senses. If it provokes passion or sentiment, it's art.

Forgiveness and the admittance of guilt is, to me, an art. The ability is in us all, but not all of us choose to explore, apply, and appreciate the beauty of it.

For me, yesterday, I indulged in the art of release.

Of redemption.

And I feel at LEAST 27lbs lighter.

With the realization that immortality is reserved for Larry King and vampires, I've decided to heed Dr. Phil's formidable question, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" and "So how's that workin' out for you?".

So yesterday, I decided I'd pull up my socks, set aside my pride and deal with what had been subconsciously bringing me down for so long. And today, I woke up feeling such a wave of peace and happiness (that I'd forgotten existed on this level) wash over me, and I'm grateful for the joy I can carry with me to the grave. (That "wave" could also be attributed to the meds, but for the purposes of this blog post, I'm going with Forgiveness for $800, Alex.) ;)

The reason I'm sharing this is because I have faced the reality that life can turn on a dime, and there are too many people living with the unnecessary pain of regret and guilt.

Forgiveness is freeing. It's healing. It's a personal and deeply effective experience that can change your life.

And despite the new-found joy I am living, my only regret is that I wasted so much time not having done this all sooner.

(Disclaimer: this does NOT apply to the crazy aunt who bought you that shitty sweater for Christmas. She can go to hell.) ;)





I still believe all you need is love, but I don't believe that just saying it is going to do it. I still believe in the fact that love is what we all need.


SoundTracking: Sunshine Superman (Donovan)

1 comment: